now browsing by tag
Black women candidates did extremely well during the midterm elections. All over the country judges, congresswomen, mayors, sheriff’s, city councilman, county commissioners, school board chairmen etc. A lot of them were first time campaigners.
Letitia James became the first African American woman to be elected as New York’s Attorney General in the “blue wave” (better known as the 2018 midterm elections). Her new position gives her oversight on President Donald Trump’s business, his finances, and his now defunct “Donald J Trump Foundation”.
Her predecessor began investigating The Trump Organization early last year but the new AG campaigned on expanding that investigation. She was not shy at all when reporters would ask about her plans. She highlighted a few areas of interest:
- Any potential illegalities involving Trump’s real estate holdings in New York.
- The June 2016 Trump Tower meeting with a Russian official.
- Examine government subsidies Trump received, which were also the subject of Times investigative work.
- Whether he is in violation of the emoluments clause in the U.S. Constitution through his New York businesses.
- The use of the Trump Foundation to funnel money to Trump and his other businesses.
Newly elected NY Attorney General said,
“We want to investigate anyone in his orbit who has, in fact, violated the law”. (If I were Don Jr, Ivanka, or Jared this statement would scare the hell out of me.)
We all know the saying “elections have consequences”. That is a truth we all need to recognize. Trump is about to learn that lesson from a Black woman. If that doesn’t make you smile then I don’t know what will.
Read the rest of this page »